Monday, January 21, 2013

boys, boys, boys


When I was in Sierra Leone this past July, I hung out with the younger boys at the center a lot. They were just so fun and wild and I guess they reminded me a lot of home. One day when I was doing community out reach with the team the kids at the center watched a version of Superman. When I returned I went into the boys’ room and they all screamed “Aunty Louse, Aunty Louse!” I just stared at them confused. I knew they all knew me as Aunty Ashley and surely they didn’t forget in the few hours I was gone. So I said what are you talking about who is Louse?? They all chanted, “you know Superman’s wife!” I said Lois? “Yes! You like like Louse!”
…So for the rest of the week the boys referred to me as Aunty Louse. I loved it. It was hilarious that first of all they couldn’t even say her name, so no one else knew what they were talking about and two, I look nothing like Lois! But it was just one of the many ways God assured me this is where I was supposed to serve.


As we were pulling up to the center last Sunday after three days of traveling I started getting a little nervous. All these thoughts were going through my head…like how none of the kids would remember me and none of them would be excited that I came back. BUT God shoved his way through all my stupid earthly thoughts yet again.

I got out of the poda (which is an old VW van with all the seats taken out and 4 plywood benched put in in their place) and the first kid who saw me yelled to all his friends “Aunty Louse is here!” They remembered. And my heart was full.

I love this place and there’s nothing I more that I need. Except maybe a little running water and more internet access J But 120 hugs and love from precious precious little people trumps both of those any day.  

9 comments:

  1. Crying. So proud of you Ash Ash. Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cry every time I read your posts - shocker! ; )
    Love them and love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precious Ashley! Thank you for sharing...I love this story!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you are Suoerwoman! What a wonderful example of Christ's hands and feet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah may zing!
    Love to read about your days. Really loved the video post! It was exciting to hear their voices!
    Love thou!
    Aunt Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is so good to read about what you are doing!!! It makes it much more real. Keep posting!

    Love,
    Aunt Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome!!! So happy to follow your journey and looking forward to my time in Africa this summer!

    ReplyDelete