Thursday, January 10, 2013

New year. New country. New life.


Tomorrow morning at 7:30 a.m. I will board a plane in Nashville, TN to start the 3 day long journey to Sierra Leone, West Africa. Words cannot even express how freaking excited I am!! I’ve been waiting…for what seems like forever…for this day.

Almost a year ago I felt called to take a year off after high school and do mission work in another country.  I was in my car listening to a radio talk show about orphans in third world countries. All my life I have had a love for children and it’s been my passion to work with them. As I sat there listening to the horrible conditions these kids were living in, my heart sank. All I wanted to do was pack up my bags at that very moment and go. And then I remembered…I was still in high school, and then I had college, and all these excuses kept piling up in my head. Then God whispered go.

Even though it has always been my dream to “go save the orphan”…I wasn’t ready to hear this from God. He was messing with my life and I was pretty content with just the idea of loving on orphans. I would need time to think about it and I wanted to get back with him later…but God doesn’t really work like that.

I sat in my car by myself crying trying to figure out how this could be real life. In my panic, a song came on the radio with the words, “and in the end it’s going to be beautiful.” And then it hit me. This wasn’t about me or what I want. This is God’s plan and it’s going to be beautiful.

After a couple of months after I decided to take a year off, I became involved with an organization called The Raining Season. They opened an orphanage in 2009 called The Covering in Freetown, the capital of Sierra Leone. (for more info you can visit their website www.therainingseason.org or savetheorphan.blogspot.com) I was able to visit the orphanage over the summer for 10 days and have been anxiously waiting 5 months to finally return!!!

My plan is to stay at the center for close to six months loving on the kids, helping the caregivers in any way, and working one on one with the seven special needs kids. I want to be there so bad I can hardly stand it. I’m so excited to continue down this road in a country I’ve grown to love. 

15 comments:

  1. I love it.
    Can't wait to get there with you.
    Daddy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait for you to get there too! Your journey will be so exciting and lovely to watch all at the same time.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading this gave me chills, even though I already knew the story. We are so proud of you!! God is already doing amazing things through you and I can't wait to see what all he has in store.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley,
    I have tears in my throat while I read your heart you just spilled over this page. I know we haven't met, but your mom is so dear to me and she raves about you. I can't wait to meet you! I am so blessed and inspired to see your faith and your trust in our precious Savior. I know you will change the lives of those sweet orphans for the Glory of our God. My husband and I are honored to be lifting you up in prayer. I can't wait to hear about all your amazing adventures!

    With so much love,
    Lanae'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley,
    Nothing could have been harder for you than to hear God's whisper. I'm so in awe of how you were able to be so in tune with his plan for you. I am proud of you and your patience for his timing. I love you and will be praying for you. We can't wait to skype with you and hear whats happening in your journey! We love love love you!
    Love,
    Aunt Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ashley you are such an amazing girl I can't say it enough. I love you so much, pretty girl.

    Lex

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you will have an amazing experience! Everything experienced with God is amazing. I just imagine Him bursting with pride, even more so than the rest of us!

    Love you sweet girl,
    Leigh leigh

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Fuquas are praying without ceasing for you to show God's love to those wonderful children! You are amazing and I know this trip will be transformational. We love you! Can't wait to hear more about your journey!

    Peace and Love,
    Doug and Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a blessing you are -- and are going to be to the children and those who serve them. I remember how excited you were as you were telling me about this during VBS last summer -- and have tears of joy in my eyes as you launch into this part of your journey with God, loving God and all those who are your neighbors across the globe. Prayers will be with you -- may you be blessed as you are a blessing.

    Joy and love cover you, sweet woman!
    Kathy Noble

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ashley! I never had a doubt that you would grow into an amazing action oriented Christian woman! What a beautiful story and fabulous path you are on! I too will hold you in prayer and thank God that he works through people like he does. Good luck, have fun and just be YOU cuz it doesn't get any better! Love, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  12. So anxious to follow the journey with you through our hearts and prayers. God has amazing thngs in store for you, Ashley.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ashley - Hope, Mackenzie and I will be praying for you as you follow God's direction in your life. You have the Courage of Daniel and God is doing great things in your life. Can't wait to see u in May!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am anxiously waiting to hear that you have made it safely to Africa. Lord help my poor children because this is proving that I will be the biggest worry wart in the entire world. I can't wait to see pictures and hear stories of all the wonderful things that God is doing through you. I am praying for you, my dear. And know that you also have lots of Delta Zeta prayers coming your way! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are all so excited for you and can't wait to read your blog posts! Thank you for sharing your journey with us, but most of all, for sharing with those precious children. Much love!!!!

    Stacey, Greg, Sam & Ben Hagewood

    ReplyDelete