Friday, May 10, 2013

Upcountry Getaway

For the first time ever, I left the center for a week and ventured up country to Bauya. Bauya is 6 hours from Freetown and is where the building project for the new orphanage is taking place. There will be housing for 200 orphans, a school, church, medical facility, and farming land. 




The villages upcountry are so different from the city where I live. I thought this country was beautiful before…but now I really can’t  believe I’m in Africa. It’s amazing out here. The people, the green land, the hills, the sunsets, the stars, the joy that comes from this place- it’s all incredible. 

This is the most green I've seen in over 4 months...

Yep, this is legit

The village round about

Some of the village boys

Hair planting

:)



I stayed with the missionary family who lives in Bauya working on the building project. Their family is amazing and have adapted so well to the community. We played Just Dance (my favorite game), watched movies, and played card games every night. It made me miss my family! 
I am so thankful I got to see out of Freetown and so much of Sierra Leone. It was really nice having a week away from all the loud that I've grown accustomed to at the center...but I kinda missed it :)  


3 comments: