Friday, June 21, 2013

Back to America


I finally got to Nashville last Thursday, after an additional unexpected day of travel. Our flight got delayed in Chicago because of the weather and the next flight out to Nashville wasn’t for two more days. Right after finding this out, my wonderful dad and 2 brothers got in the car and drove 7 hours to Chicago to come get us J And it was REALLY good to finally see my favorite boys again.




Last Monday I said my final goodbye to The Covering- over 100 kids and 60+ staff…who have become my family over the past 6 months. 


It’s tradition to hold a goodbye ceremony. I knew it was going to be hard…but it wasn’t until I was sitting in front of my Sierra Leonean family as they sang to me, that it really hit me. My life was about to change a lot. I was never going to wake up to the sound of the girls washing and singing in the mornings. I was never going to tuck a mosquito net in. I was never going to wash myself with a bucket of cold water and have a ridiculous amount of shampoo build up…because I never had enough water to rinse all of it out. And maybe a lot of this could be good, because I could finally have a hot shower with really good pressure. I could finally sleep in past 8 like most 19 year olds. I could finally get in my queen size bed with my cozy comforter and actually cover up because I was cold. And I was REALLY excited about having Mexican food…just saying. 

But I miss it. I really do miss it all. Not because bucket baths are actually really awesome…but because when I take a bucket bath it means I just had hundreds of kids who call me auntie hanging on me all day. It means I’m stinky and sweaty, and covered in all sorts of dirt and germs and grime that came from a day full of fun. It means that I just gave my all to a place I love dearly and a Father who allowed me to live this life. 














Sierra Leone became my home and I left some very dear and precious people there. Saying goodbye was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But I'm looking forward. I'm ready and excited for this next chapter in my life and I have peace about where I am. It doesn't make me miss it any less or make it any easier adjusting. But God has control. 

“Do not think that love in order to be genuine has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired. Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies.” Mother Teresa














No comments:

Post a Comment